Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Opening Day of Turkey Season -- Two Birds with One Stone

2009 spring turkey hunting ended in about 2 hours for me this year. I was planning on several blog posts as the turkey season progressed, but I filled my 2 state land tags with one shot this year. Connecticut only allows either state or private land spring turkey tags, not both.

Although the season ended unexpectedly quickly for me, I still plan on several posts regarding turkey hunting. Some possible topics include:

  • Essential gear
  • Non-essential gear (which is just as important as essential gear)
  • Preferred ammo
  • Strategies and techniques
  • Preparing the bird for the table
  • Challenges of state land hunting

I'm far from an expert turkey hunter, but I've had some recent success, so I may be able to pass some practical tips on to the beginner.

The biggest lesson from my hunt today is to have patience, and don't over call.

Connecticut's season runs through the month of May.

No comments: