Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Kolpin Sight Vice A Good Deal

I've been wanting to get a gun rest for sighting in my firearms for some time now. Up to this point, I've tried to site in free hand which certainly reduces the accuracy of my shooting. I've hesitated up to this point because some of the nicer gun rests run several hundreds of dollars. That's more expensive than many of my guns! This past week Cabela's ran a sale on the Kolpin Sight Vice offering it for $10. For that price I could not resist. Even if it was a piece of junk, for $10 I figured it was worth a try. At best it could save me from buying a $200+ gun rest. At worst, I'd be out only $10.
I received the Kolpin Sight Vice earlier this week. I was not expecting much, but I was presently surprised with the usefulness of this gun rest. Certainly it's not as sturdy as a $300 Lead Sled, but the Kolpin helped me out right away. I was able to use the Kolpin Sight Vice to securely hold my muzzleloader while I worked on mounting a new scope. I then used it to secure several guns while I checked the zero with a boresighter.

The Kolpin Sight Vice uses simple clamps with padding to tightly hold the gun in place. The device has a freestanding front rest, or you can switch it out to use clamps on both sides. The underside of the rest has a compartment in which lead shot can be added to give the rest extra weight. The compartment is relatively small, so unlike the expensive gun rests, you are going to have to live with some recoil while shooting with this rest.
The rest uses 3 legs. One of the legs has a simple spring loaded threaded rod which can be easily turned to adjusted the elevation of the gun during shooting. The Kolpin Sight Vice is made of plastic, not steel like the expensive rests, so you can expect it to be less robust than the expensive models. It might not be the choice for sighting in a sniper rifle intended to shoot a 2 inch group at 500 yards. However, for most hunting applications, the rest is more than adequate to assist the shooter in sighting in a firearm, especially for such a low price. If you want all the features, don't buy this product. If you're looking for something simple and want to save a buck, the Kolpin Sight Vice is a useful tool.

No comments: