Friday, January 15, 2010

Update on CVA Wolf Muzzleloader

I wanted to clarify my last post on the CVA Wolf Muzzleloader.

First, The scope mount that comes with the kit from Cabela's does not work with the Cabela's Powderhorn scope that comes with the kit.  The scope mounts will not allow the scope to clear the iron sights.  Even if you remove the upper part of the iron sights, the base still interferes with the scope.  If you buy a CVA Wolf muzzleloader kit (rifle, scope, scope mounts all together) from Cabela's you should expect a trip to a store to buy new scope mounts that work.  Cabela's was not able to fix the problem over the phone.  They just kept sending non-working scope mounts, and even the counter people at the Cabela's store I visited were not helpful.  You're on your own with this one.  Just to recap, I ended up buying "see-through" scope mounts that sit considerably higher, providing clearance for the iron sights.

Secondly, in my previous post I mentioned that my ramrod broke before I completed sighting in the rifle.  Cabela's did send me a replacement ramrod free-of-charge in time for the weekend hunt.  However, I missed the deer I shot at during that hunt.  It was maybe a 50 yard shot, free-hand (i.e. no rest for the gun), with some brush.  Still, I thought it was a shot that I should make.  Perhaps the bullet was deflected by some brush, perhaps the sight-in was not as close as I thought, or perhaps it was a combination of factors, but I missed.  I will definitely have to continue refining the accuracy of the rifle before next season now that I have a new ramrod.

No comments: