Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Intercontinental Hotel -- San Juan, Puerto Rico

Through fortunate circumstances, I have been able to spend the weekend at The Intercontinental Hotel and Resort in the Isla Verde section of San Juan, Puerto Rico.  I'm a regular traveler to Puerto Rico, coming here for work several times per year.  I typically stay at decent places, but I've never stayed anywhere like the San Juan Intercontinental.  It's the nicest hotel I've stayed at anywhere to date.

First off, it's right in the middle of the Isla Verde district of San Juan.  Along with Old San Juan and Condado, Isla Verde is one of the most desirable districts in San Juan.  Restaurants, shops, hotels line the streets.  The hotel is right on the beach.  As I type this, I am sitting under an umbrella with my feet in the sand.  There are outdoor restaurants serving food and drinks anywhere along the beach and around their large pool area.  The beach is the best beach in San Juan.  Blue water and no crowds.

When I arrived in my hotel last night after dark, I was floored by the view of the ocean and the city from my 11th floor room.  As I drove up the fancy garden entry way, spoke to the vallets, and entered the loby, I felt like this was a place for a wealthy business tycoon to stay, not a humble worker such as I.  However, I quickly was able to make myself at home, especially after enjoying dinner at their Japanese restaurant. 

Right at this moment, I am enjoying the warmth and scenery of this great hotel.  The only thing that could make it better would be if I was able to enjoy it with my family.

Note: If you go out in the evenings around Isla Verde, it helps to keep in mind that nightlife in Puerto Rico has a different schedule than in The States.  If you hit a spot at 10 PM.  It's likely to be dead.  People don't start coming out until after 11 and mid-night.  Bars stay open as late as they want, so last call is not an issue. 

1 comment:

Mark said...

I travel to Puerto Rico regularly too (have a condo there) and agree that the InterContinental is a lovely property. And also a very good point about nightlife. Go out late for the maximum experience! ;)