Saturday, July 12, 2008

Equipment Review: Schwinn Airdriver 1100 Bicycle Pump -- Piece of S*^t

A bike pump is an essential piece of equipment to bring along on any camping trip that includes bikes. It's quite frustrating to hop on your bike in anticipation of a nice ride around the campgrounds and find out that the tire is flat. Regardless of how diligent I am about pumping up the tires before the trip, somehow at some point during the camping trip we almost always end up re-filling with the pump for one reason or another. My previous two bike pumps broke. The Schwinn Airdriver 1100 is the third bike pump I have purchased in the recent past. My first two pumps were cheap no-name pumps. This time, I decided to spend a little money and upgrade to the Schwinn name-brand pump. I bought this pump at Target, and I recall the price being around $30. This pump has the standard bike connection, and also includes a built-in needle that's intending for pumping up balls and the like.

This pump has been a big disappointment. I do not recommend buying it. If I had inspected the product closer before my purchase, I would have noticed that the valve area is 100% plastic. The plastic connection valve is not able to make a strong connection to the valve stem of the bike tire. As a result, the connection leaks and you can not get enough air in the tire to get it up to the pressure required. Although this pump has a fancy design and the Schwinn name brand, it is your typical made-in-China-use-the-cheapest-plastic-possible piece of junk. Not unusual for many hard-line products available at Target stores. If you need a pump, spend your money elsewhere.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have encountered the same problem with this pump.It is a piece of $h1T. When you tighten the pump tp the inner tube valve, it blows off and/or air leaks from the innertube in the process. It outright sucks.

Jay said...

Out of curiousity I checked reviews of this product at Amazon.com. They were nearly all very negative. Too bad neither of us checked before spending money on this thing.
Be on the look out for more equipment reviews in the future. I just bought 2 kayaks. I'll likely be reviewing the kayaks, the car rack, and the life vests.
Thanks for posting.