Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Seasons in Connecticut

The great outdoors is not the first thing that comes to mind when people think of Connecticut. However, as I sit here in the middle of summer contemplating the different outdoor opportunities available in the area, it struck me that Connecticut could get a little short changed as an outdoor destination. True, Connecticut does not have the dramatic land features of the west. True, Connecticut can be overcrowded. Despite these realities, opportunities for great outdoor adventures exist. The small size and great diversity of the state offers variety within driving distance. Ocean beaches, lakes and rivers, wooded forests, and mountain trails are all accessible for a day trip.

For me, each season brings a different set of available outdoor options. In the summer I am able to devote a lot of time to camping and golf. Hiking, fishing, and trips to the beach are also annual rites of summer. As the leaves change, hiking becomes an even more attractive option. I also look forward to the fall hunting season. Last year I chased pheasant and deer in Connecticut. In winter I fight cabin fever with ice fishing and a rare ski trip. In spring, I count the days until the spring turkey season opens. Later this summer my wife and I plan on tackling our first kayak adventure together.


My point is, that each season brings presents us with different outdoor opportunities. I plan to take full advantage to what each season has to offer.

No comments: