Monday, October 27, 2008

Equipment Review: Mossberg 500 Field/Deer Combo Shotgun



This weekend I tried out the Mossberg 500 shotgun. Connecticut only allows shotgun hunting on state land, so I wanted a slug gun to be able to hunt deer on Connecticut state land later in November. I hunt mostly on private land, so my state land deer hunting would be only to supplement my regular private land hunting. Therefore, I was not looking for a high end gun. Price and value were more critical to me than features and appearance. The Mossberg 500 Field/Deer Combo 12 gauge fit the bill perfectly.

The Mossberg 500 will not win an beauty contests. It's a gun that's meant to be used, not to be polished and displayed. The combo pack comes with two barrels. One is a standard field barrel. The second barrel is a rifled slug barrel. The gun comes with a scope, 3 chokes, and 2 cheek plates. It's a pump action that can hold up to five 2 3/4 inch shells. The gun weighs 7.5 pounds. At about $265 it was a great value at Dick's Sporting Goods.

I tried out the gun with the field barrel this weekend while pheasant hunting. I missed on the only shot I had, but that was more than likely user error rather than equipment error. The gun did well in the field. It felt light and maneuverable. I have not yet tried out the slug barrel, but based on everything I've seen so far from the gun, I'm not expecting any issues.

It's early (I've only used it once), but so far I would recommend the Mossberg 500 for anyone looking for a solid working shot gun at a reasonable price.

Best of all: It's made in the USA.

No comments: