Sunday, October 19, 2008

New Lessons Learned from Day 1 of 2008 Pheasant Hunting

After much anticipation, the 2008 pheasant hunting season finally arrived in Connecticut. My group was out there first thing Saturday morning. The season started off well with many birds flushed and taken. There were many shots heard throughout the area, so one can assume that others were also having success.

While shaking off the rust, I made two observations that may be useful on the next pheasant hunt.

1) Consider using different shot gun loads depending on whether you are hunting with the assistance of a dog.
Without a dog I typically use a #7.5 as my first load and a #6 as my second load. I hunt with a double-barrel over-under, so I put the #7.5 in the top barrel and the #6 in the bottom barrel. My thinking is that when a bird first flushes the #7.5 is good for a close shot, but for the second shot the bird will be farther away so you need something with some extra distance, hence the #6 shot. This strategy is ok when working without a dog. Without a dog, you need to do the work of flushing, so you generally need to be relatively close to the bird to kick it up. In that instance, the #7.5 is fine.
However, I have found that #7.5 is not the best pheasant load when working with a dog. Yesterday was the first time I have ever hunted with a dog. I observed that since the dog tends to work out in front of the hunter, the bird is generally flushed at a distance a little farther away than it would be flushed out by a hunter without a dog. Therefore, you need a load with a little more distance. I would consider hunting with two #6 loads, or perhaps a #6 for the first shot and maybe even a #4 for the second shot.

2) Be prepared for a bird at all times. This seems obvious, but it is something that has cost me a bird more than once. It cost me one again yesterday. It was mid-day, and I was hunting alone without a dog. I had been walking around for a couple of hours unsuccessfully looking for birds. I had not heard any shots from other hunters. I came to a river. As I was walking the edge of the river trying to find a decent place to cross, a bird flushed right in front of me. However, I was paying more attention to the river. By the time I got my body and gun in position, the bird was too far away for a high percentage shot.
The whole reason for being out there is to hunt birds, so it did not make much sense for me to be concentrating on something else. This lapse definitely cost me a bird.

One final note: Even if you are unsure about whether or not you will go pheasant hunting this year, if there is even a slight chance you might go, please go to the town hall (or on-line) and buy your pheasant tags. Even if you do not end up going, buying your tags helps make for robust pheasant hunting because the number of birds bought is dependant on the number of tags sold in the previous year. The tags are only $10. To me, it's worth the $10 to keep the pheasant hunting opportunities strong for the following year.

3 comments:

Jay said...

Test comment

Anonymous said...

As I do like your advice about using a different round for your second shot (if needed), I would like to throw in my two cents. Most O/U or side by side shotguns either have or have the ability to have different chokes. Having a full choke on your second barrel will hold the shot at a tighter pattern for the distance shot. But, if your gun does not have two different chokes or a threaded end for a screw in choke than may I suggest using your different shell aproach. However, changing the size of the BB might not help you with the distance shot. I would recommend staying with a #6 load. It is a bit larger than a 7.5 but not as large as the 4. By having a #4 load you could increase your chances of missing since there are a fewer amount of BB's packed inside the shell and as they spread the chance of a hit decreases. Idealy, you would want to use a high brass shell with an 1-1/8 or even a 1-1/4 Oz. shot which will have a greater FPS for that "reach out and touch" effect. Remember, just like a high powered rifle, it is the knock down force that creates the kill.
I'm going on my 17th year of pheasant hunting, and I will admit that I have also slacked off and lost focus during a hunt that resulted in losing a bird or two. But, those are the mistakes you can learn from to make you a more successful upland hunter. A pheasant's first choice to escape danger is to run, this is why pointing dogs are so great. Hunters can "push" these birds to natural barriers such as rivers or cliffs. I have learned that these are the areas to be on high alert and ready for that awesome sound of wings flapping that usually startles you.
Pheasant hunting without a dog is tough. Try to cover as much ground as possible by walking in a zig zag pattern. I've hunted without dogs, with pointing dogs, and with flushing dogs, but now I finally have my own hunting partner, I just have to make sure she's not gun shy.

Jay said...

You are absolutely correct about the chokes. However, if you hunt with a single barrel gun, you only have the luxury of one choke.
I also agree that the lower shot number, the higher risk of missing. It's definitely a balance that needs to be considered.