Sunday, November 9, 2008

Gear for Connecticut Pheasant Hunting

Yesterday I spent all morning hunting pheasant in wet conditions. There were periods of light rain, but even when not raining, the fields were wet from consistent rain the previous day. Despite the rain, the temperature was warm, so getting cold was not a big issue. It was a perfect day in the field! Despite this fact, the less-than-ideal conditions got me thinking about gear (other than the firearm) for pheasant hunting in Connecticut.
Pheasant hunting in Connecticut is unique. It is not like classic pheasant hunting in South Dakota. Pheasant season in Connecticut starts in October and runs through November. Although it can get cool, the early fall season is warmer than the late fall deer hunting season. Unlike deer hunting, pheasant hunting involves nearly constant walking. Therefore, the cold is not as big of an issue. The factors to consider in pheasant hunting gear is mobility, protection from brush, and water protection.
Outfitting yourself for pheasant hunting in Connecticut is really pretty easy, and does not require any special gear, besides the orange vest required by law. You could go out in jeans, a flannel shirt, and hiking boots. However, if you plan on spending any significant time chasing birds, you may want to invest in some specific gear. The first thing to consider is foot wear. Snow is not usually an issue in Connecticut pheasant hunting (although it's not unheard of), but water certainly is an issue. Even on dry days, the grass you'll be tromping through will be wet, especially at sunrise. You want something with some water resistance. Regardless of how waterproof a boot claims to be, after a full day walking in waist high grass during rain shower your feet are going to get wet. Therefore, although waterproofing is a consideration, I consider comfort and weight more in my pheasant boots. Remember, pheasant hunting involves a lot of walking. If you're feet are likely to get wet anyway, I'd rather go with the lighter, more comfortable boot. I prefer lighter waterproof hiking-style leather boots as opposed to the more rugged work-type boots. Both will get the job done, and it's really a matter of personal preference. I've seen some guys wear the high ankle rubber farm boots. I'm not a fan of those type of boots when a lot of walking is involved. The boots I use cost me about $60.
Pheasant hunting ofter requires getting into some serious thicket. Although jeans would be OK, the extra protection provided by hunting pants specifically designed for upland game hunting can be useful. These pants have an extra layer of material on the front that is useful for turning back briers. You can get a pair of these pants for around $40.
I like to layer my shirts. The weather this time of year is unpredictable. Some days can be warm where you only need a light shirt. Other days require long-johns and a sweatshirt. I typically go with a t-shirt and a chamois shirt. If it gets too hot I can remove my shirt and store it in one of my game bags. I try to avoid wearing too much clothing on my upper body because I want to have mobility to be able to swing and shoot freely.
A good field coat can make your time in the field easier. In addition to providing protection from the rain and brush, a good coat (or vest) is a handy tool. A good field coat will have many pockets for carrying everything you need. It will also contain several game bags to hold the harvested birds. Most that are specifically made for upland hunting will have built in rings for holding shot gun shells. Some also have padding in the shoulder area. When deciding on a field coat, again consider mobility. You don't want something that hinders your movement when you swing to take a shot. The coat I bought was on the expensive side. It was around $100. However, a coat like this only gets better with age as it gets more broken in. I expect this coat to last for years.
Although none of this stuff is essential for a day in the Connecticut woods, spending the $200 or so required to pick up these items will make your time more enjoyable, and perhaps more successful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great advice. I hunt pheasants in Wisconsin and the weather here can be 50's one day and 20's the next so instead of a heavy field coat I purchased a good quality pheasant hunting vest that I can wear over a light or heavy coat or even rain gear for those wet days.