Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Ruffled Grouse (Partridge) All But Extinct in Connecticut

I just returned from a week long deer hunting trip in the back woods of central New Hampshire. One very noticeable difference between the Connecticut woods and the New Hampshire woods was that New Hampshire had an abundance of partridge. Without even trying I flushed seven partridge in four days of deer hunting. Thinking back on the past years of hunting in Connecticut, in which I’ve heavily hunted pheasant, turkey, and deer, I have not seen or heard one partridge in the Connecticut woods.
The ruffled grouse used to be abundant in Connecticut. It was not uncommon in my youth to scare one up while walking. Although I have not commissioned a scientific study, it’s been my observation that today the ruffled grouse is all but extinct in Connecticut. I spend most of my time in central and northwest Connecticut, so perhaps partridge are still present in Fairfield County or east of the river. However, I recently read an article in American Hunter magazine discussing the decline of partridge in New Jersey, so I suspect the decline I’m observing is statewide.

I’m not sure why the ruffled grouse is able to thrive in New Hampshire, but not in Connecticut, especially considering other animal species previously only observed in the north (black bear, moose) are now calling Connecticut home. New Hampshire certainly has more forested acreage, but it would seem Connecticut would have at least some forest habitat that could support a ruffled grouse population.

Am I alone in this observation? I’d be interested in hearing any theories out there as to why partridge seem to be missing from the Connecticut woods.

No comments: