Thursday, December 11, 2008

Late Season Success Puts Venison in The Freezer

On the last day of the rifle/shotgun season I was able to bag a deer on state land. It was not a monster buck, but when you have an empty freezer and the season is coming to an end, one cannot be picky. I ended up getting an average doe. I did not have her officially weighed, but she was somewhere around 100 pounds -- nothing special, but better than nothing. I took the final two days of the season (Monday and Tuesday) off from work with the sole purpose of filling my state land tag. The tag is for either sex deer (buck or doe). I put a lot of time in the woods this year between New Hampshire and Connecticut, so it was nice to not come away empty handed.
The woods in northwest Connecticut seem to be filled with wildlife. In the final two days of the hunting season on public land I saw 2 coyotes, a flock of turkeys, numerous squirrels, and 4 deer.
The venison is presently being packaged at a local butcher. This is a butcher that is totally new to me. Look for a possible future recommendation on this blog if everything turns out well.

No comments: