Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Equipment Review: Bushnell Backtrack GPS – Better than noting, but not as good as it should be

The Bushnell Backtrack is a hand held electronic compass that uses a GPS signal. It is meant to tell you direction at any time, as well as an “as-the-crow-flies” distance from one of 3 selected waypoints.

I was attracted to the Bushnell Backtrack because of its simplicity, small size, and low cost. I purchased the unit for approximately $70 from Cabela’s. I was hoping to get something that I could slip into a pocket that would give me some confidence while hunting in the big woods. Also, I was hoping it could save me some time returning to my car after a day in the woods. If it worked as advertised, the Bushnell Backtrack would have been perfect for my needs. However, I had several issue with the Bushnell Backtrack.

First, the unit had difficulty picking up a GPS signal when in the woods. It was able to pick up a signal relatively easily in an open field or on a trail or road. However, when you need it most, in the middle of the thick woods, it could not always pick up a signal.
Second, the compass feature was not properly working. I compared the electronic compass reading to a reading on traditional compass. They did not match. A compass that can’t be trusted is not useful.
Lastly, the arrows intended to direct you back to your base point were not always accurate. The unit seemed to correctly tell the distance from a point, but fell down in pointing the direction. I observed that after a while the arrow would point in the correct direction, but when the unit was first turned on, the arrow direction was incorrect. This is not a good thing when in the middle of the deep woods. Even though I knew the direction back to my vehicle, the incorrect arrow direction on the Bushnell Backtrack made me question myself. Luckily I trusted my instincts and ignored the Bushnell Backtrack. Eventually the unit corrected itself, but I could have spent a lot of time walking in the opposite direction if I followed the Bushnell Backtrack.

I suppose if you were truly lost in the woods, since the unit did EVENTUALLY give the correct direction, it would be better than being lost in the woods with nothing. However, the unit did not operate up to my standards, or as advertised.
I will be returning the unit and spending the extra money to buy a regular map-based GPS unit. It’s a shame because I really liked the small size and simplicity of the Bushnell Backtrack. Now I will be forced to carry a larger unit if I want GPS insurance when in the woods.