Monday, December 7, 2009

Successful Buck Hunting in New Hampshire

I was fortunate enough to harvest a 4-point buck during the second week of New Hampshire’s firearms season. It’s no trophy, but it’s in the freezer! This is the first buck I’ve had a chance at in New Hampshire, which only allows bucks to be taken during most of the season (It depends on the region.).
I startled this guy at about 11:15 AM in some thick re-growth after returning from a morning sitting. He paused for a moment to see what I was, and I was able to find a shooting lane to get him in the ribs with my .30-06. He ran only a short distance before lying down. When I went to retrieve him, I startled a second deer that I never got a look at.
I had a very short drag to get him onto the path. Once on the path we were able to use a tractor to pick him up and bring him the rest of the way back to camp.I’ve already enjoyed two family meals from this guy. Both were prepared about the same way. The first meal I used steaks, the second chops. I pan seared them in butter with green peppers, onions, mushrooms, and garlic. Both meals were delicious.

No comments: